The Black Shed: A History
Posted on 28th June 2021 at 13:56
The Black Shed was built back in 1910 by the Birmingham Navigation Company for a local flourmill to store grain coming in from Sharpness Docks. The mill paid £250 to have it built & paid £12 a year ground rent after it's completion.
In November 1915, the war office requisitioned The Black Shed, it's land & the surrounding area. The shed & it's adjoining wharf were reinforced in order to store equipment.
The Shed was used by the government until 1917 when it was handed back to the flour mill owners & used for it's original purpose for many years until no longer needed.
Some time in the mid 1960's, The Black Shed was brought back to life & has since been used for variety of ventures including a camping & outdoor sport shop & then latterly as a cafe/bar.
The current owners took the Black Shed on in 2017, carrying out extensive works to bring it out of disrepair, culminating with the cafe/bar as it is now, a hub of exciting activities.
This content will only be shown when viewing the full post. Click on this text to edit it.
Share this post: